Friday, November 12, 2004

Daily Rant

Wow, I've had people read my blog that weren't involved in writing it. As I read through my posts, I realize that a) I certainly shift focus a lot, and b) I appear to hate religion.

I thought I should clarify my thoughts on that topic. I don't hate religion, and at times I admire the good that a few of them do, but I am incredibly frustrated with the rest of them.

I am agnostic. Simply, I don't see any evidence that the organized religions are related to the creation of the universe; however, I am not so arrogant to think that there isn't some higher being, deity, creator or whatever. I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know the answer to that question. I would love for there to be an afterlife, but I will never know if there is one until oxygen is no longer delivered to my brain.

And there lies my frustration with organized religions. I know it's cliche to divide people into groups of two, but I often view the religious this way. They either don't believe, or they do. If the practitioners don't believe in their preachings, then they are hypocritical power-mongers using religion for social connections and control. If they do believe in it, in most cases they have a perspective that the universe exists for the creation of man, which I view a rather...arrogant. They may be good people, and treat their fellow man well, but to assume that we are the ultimate creation of life just because we developed a system of grunts for communicating abstract thoughts and put our opposable thumbs to use seems short-sighted.

Most every religion (except maybe Ba'hai or Hinduism) believes that there brand is the correct one, and all others are wrong. I think there is a logical axiom stated that if multiple, mutually-exclusive hypotheses assume that each must be true, then all or all but one are false. So which one is correct, if any?

In any case, each religion elevates themselves above the rest. JOIN OUR CLUB, WE'RE THE BEST! The rest of you will go to Hell. The different Christian denominations are always pointing fingers at each other, saying the other taints the message of Jesus. If only they understood his message as well as I do, and I don't even believe, according to their defintion.

Many (but not all) Christians seemingly forgot the true message of the Sermon on the Mount (beautiful words, by the way), and that when Mary Magdelene was about to be killed for being a whore, Jesus said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Jesus never cast the stone. If Jesus wasn't throwing it, then he was a sinner too, which implies that he understood that people aren't perfect. Everyone has moments in their life they wish they've never done, I sure do, but that is the point of living. We make mistakes, we learn from them, we improve, we make more mistakes, we survive. We don't go to hell because we ate meat on Friday.


Farewell Reader, have a good day.

Hussman

No comments: