Thursday, December 18, 2003

Introduction

Sitting in my office, looking out my window, enjoying the new Thursday. There is a squirrel outside on the tree. He's been there traipsing around for the past week, so it's probably time to name him/her. I hereby christen it Chris, which is convenient because I don't know it's sex.

Daily Rant
Last night I had fallen asleep on my couch early, sometime around 8:00 pm. I awoke at midnight to find 'Glory' showing on HBO. I had just seen 'The Last Samurai,' which was also directed by Edward Zwick, and I didn't realize until now just how similar the two movies are. Consider that both movies have:

-a scene where the officer (Broderick, Cruise) demonstrates the troops are unprepared for battle by forcing them to load their muzzle-loader rifles quickly.
-a man from American culture bonding with a foreign culture.
-foreign warriors that are strong, proud, and live by a tribal ethic.
-scenes where someone goes through great pain induced by the dominant culture to prove their point (Denzel was whipped, Cruise was beaten by a swordsman repeatedly).
-commanding officers that refer to the foreign culture as 'savages.'
-armies that valiantly go to slaughter like lambs in the end.

There are more similarities, but I think the point is made. These details aside, I'll go on the record and state that both movies were good.

Did I learn something new today?
The computer I gave Dan had a bad power supply, and that was it. Now he has a $300 dollar computer for free. He offered to give it back, but frankly, I have no need for a server farm.

Hobby Update
Guitar: Still working on Caprice No. 5. I haven't learned new notes, but I've smoothed over the new passages and will begin working on the next measures over the weekend.

Farewell Reader, have a good day.

Hussman